"Our Talent Is Finding Yours"
Global Law Firm’s Downtown LA Office; Direct Hire; Salary Open DOE
Reports To: Senior Deputy Conflicts Counsel
FLSA Status: Exempt
Exercises discretion and independent judgment while working under the general direction of Deputy Conflicts Counsel and according to established Firm policies and procedures. The Conflicts Attorney is responsible for clearing conflicts for all new clients, new matters, and additional party submissions by performing essential duties personally or through delegation to subordinates. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.
Overtime may be needed as dictated by business needs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include, but may not be limited to, the following. Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Essential functions are primary job duties that an individual must be able to perform successfully with or without a reasonable accommodation. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of the American Bar Association (ABA) Model Rules of Professional Conduct and jurisdictional differences in all states in which the Firm conducts business. Perform research and incorporate laws of other countries, such as The Solicitor’s Regulation Authority rules in the United Kingdom, into the Firm’s internal policies and procedures.
- Review all incoming forms and telephone requests to ensure that conflict party, position, and relationship information is accurate and complete. Follow forms through the intake lifecycle to ensure that forms are processed accurately and efficiently.
- Define complex conflict search strategies using Boolean logic and generate related conflicts reports. Analyze conflicts reports, identify potential conflict situations, propose resolutions, and coordinate the documentation of resolutions.
- Facilitate conflict-clearing process by prescreening/clearing reports and communicating directly with appropriate attorneys, Deputy Conflicts Counsel, Compliance Counsel and other Conflict Department personnel as needed.
- Procure, review, and draft waiver letters and engagement letters from appropriate attorneys as deemed necessary in each jurisdiction.
- Produce written summaries and record all final conflict resolutions as supporting documentation for internal files.
- Confirm need and establish ethical walls to screen individuals from particular clients and matters as part of conflict clearing process.
- Liaise with General Counsel and other Firm attorneys to identify business conflicts issues and review and approve conflicts forms as necessary.
- Review prior legal affiliation reports as prepared by Conflicts Department staff for all new and lateral hires. Resolve potential conflicts with incoming laterals and Firm attorneys.
- Perform legal research and writing as needed.
- Participate in the training and education of attorneys and other Firm staff on the Firm’s policies and procedures relating to the conflict clearing process.
- Participate in the development and mentoring of Conflict Department peers, including training on conflict database software, and Departmental and Firm policies and procedures.
- Must have and maintain internet access and ability to work remotely after hours as business needs dictate.
- Ensure exceptional client service levels are achieved in delivery of services to secretaries, paralegals, attorneys, and vendors.
- Occasional assistance may be needed to cover urgent conflict issues that arise outside normal hours of the department.
- Assist with special projects as requested by Deputy Conflicts Counsel or Conflicts Counsel.
- This position has no direct supervisory responsibilities; however, has the authority to delegate work within the Department relating to Conflicts-related tasks.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) is required. License to practice law in the United States required. Three years of experience practicing law or experience as a Conflicts Attorney in a large law firm setting strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, and Excel, and the ability to learn new software programs are required. Knowledge of and proficiency in relational databases such as MS SQL, LegalKEY, and CMS Open are highly desired.
- Ability to learn and utilize specialized internal conflict checking software and multiple software applications and workflow processes of various departments. Issue tracking, follow-up, and resolution skills are essential.
- Ability to analyze legal conflict of interest situations, articulate potential issues, and suggest resolutions to attorneys is required. In addition, ability to articulate an understanding of legal relationships and the nature of representations undertaken is essential to meet the minimum performance standards of this position.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate with courtesy and diplomacy and respond effectively to the most sensitive conflict inquiries or complaints; provide information; and maintain effective relationships with management, a diverse group of attorneys, clients, staff, and outside contacts.
- Ability to apply both logical and common sense understanding to carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, and diagram forms, and the ability to handle and resolve problems involving concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to conduct detailed analysis of source documentation utilizing excellent judgment and decision-making skills. Excellent organizational skills with proven ability to provide a quality, accurate, and efficient work product in a high-volume environment are necessary.
- Exhibit high degree of initiative in exercising independent judgment and making decisions in order to handle multiple functions in a fast-paced, detail-oriented work environment, and adapt to changes in workflow, processes, and procedures. Excellent troubleshooting, time management and follow-through skills.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, perform data entry, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation, or office supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasional travel to other Firm locations may be required.
- The work environment is characteristic of a normal office environment with moderate exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperature, etc.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities, and requirements. This position description may be modified in the future as necessary.